Dunwoody, Tucker knocked out of soccer playoffs

Walton High School’s Lady Raiders rallied from a 2-1 deficit to pull out a 3-2 overtime win against Dunwoody High School’s Lady Wildcats in the third round of the Class 7A girls’ state soccer playoffs at North DeKalb Stadium May 6. 

Walton (14-4-0) grabbed a quick 1-0 lead in the first 2:35 of the game when Brooke Dean hit a shot to make it 1-0. 

A hand-ball penalty in front of the Walton goal set up a penalty kick for Dunwoody. Lily Garrigan lined up for the shot and put it past Walton goalie Laila Allen into the left corner of the net to knot the game at 1-1 with 27:12 to play. 

Dunwoody pulled ahead with 7:12 to play in the first half as a corner kick off the foot of Kate Barrett fell in perfect to teammate Julia Gild, who headed the ball past defenders into the goal for the lead. 

Trailing 2-1 with just over seven minutes to play, Dean scored her second goal of the game to even the score at 2-2 and eventually send the two Top 10 teams into overtime. 

During the first overtime period, Dunwoody goalie Ella Holland made a diving save as the clock ticked toward the six-minute mark, but the ball bounced away. Walton’s Emma Graham got the loose ball and knocked it into the net for the game-deciding goal with 6:05 left. 

Lakeside is the only soccer team from DeKalb County School District still in the GHSA playoffs.

Dunwoody had 16 minutes left to try to tie the game but could not get close enough for a good shot until there were just three minutes remaining. Dunwoody lofted a corner kick inside and batted it around, and the Walton goalie left one side of the goal open trying to get to the ball.

Dunwoody got the ball, but the shot floated just over the goal and out of bounds. 

Dunwoody (15-6-0) never got another solid shot, and Walton played keep away and sent the ball back up field at every opportunity. 

Holland had a busy night in goal. She had at least 12 saves, including several diving stops and coming out to take the ball away from attackers. She had two saves in the final 2:57 of regulation, one on a diving stop near the post to ensure the teams went to overtime. 

The Tucker High School Tigers’ boys’ soccer team’s strong run to the Elite 8 ended in a 4-0 loss to No. 1 ranked Dalton High School May 7. The game marked Tucker’s third consecutive road game in the Class 6A state playoffs. 

Tucker finishes the season 10-11 overall. 

Walton eliminated Dunwoody from the playoffs May 6 at North DeKalb stadium. Photos by Jay Phillips

Dalton (18-0-2) advances to take on the Lakeside-DeKalb High School Vikings (17-2-1), who are ranked No. 7 in the state.

Lakeside’s game against Dalton is scheduled for May 11 at Dalton’s Harmon Stadium.  

Lakeside knocked off No. 3 ranked Central Gwinnett High School 3-1 May 5 to move into the program’s 14th semifinal appearance.

Other DeKalb teams in action included St. Pius X Catholic High School’s girls’ playing at McIntosh High School May 10 and Marist School’s girls’ hosting Northwest Whitefield High School May 10.

St. Pius advanced to the 5A championship with a 3-1 win over McIntosh, and Marist moved on to the 4A championship with an 8-0 win over Northwest Whitfield. St. Pius and Marist will play their title games May 15-18, but exact dates are to be announced.

Jay Phillips contributed to this story


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *