DeKalb County Voter Registration and Elections officials have provided more information for the Dec. 6 runoff election, including dates for early voting and locations, for the U.S. Senate runoff election between incumbent Raphael Warnock (D) and challenger Herschel Walker (R).
Advance voting will take place Nov. 23 through Dec. 2. “With the Thanksgiving holiday, voters are encouraged to carefully review the hours and locations prior to heading to vote,” stated DeKalb County Voter Registration and Elections (VRE) officials.
The early voting schedule available at press time is:
- Wednesday, Nov. 23, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. only at the DeKalb Voter Registration and Elections Office located at 4380 Memorial Drive in Decatur
- Sunday, Nov. 27 through Friday, Dec. 2 from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. at all locations (listed below).
There will be no advanced voting on Thursday, Nov. 24 through Saturday, Nov. 26 due to the Thanksgiving holiday and a Georgia law that states, in part, “if the second Saturday before election day is a state holiday, comes after a Thursday or Friday state holiday or before a Sunday or Monday holiday, then early voting is not allowed.”
“Thursday, Nov. 24, is Thanksgiving Day, and Friday, Nov. 25, is a state holiday originally set aside for the observance of Confederate General Robert E. Lee’s birthday,” said Dave Williams with Capitol Beat. “While Lee’s name has been removed, the state holiday remains in effect.”
The Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, the Warnock for Georgia campaign and the Democratic Party of Georgia have filed a lawsuit to allow for early voting on Nov. 26.
Officials with the DeKalb VRE said although Saturday voting on Nov. 26 is not permitted under Georgia state law, the schedule, locations and hours will be updated if it is determined that voting is permitted pending the outcome of the ongoing litigation.
“The runoff (election) is right around the corner and we’re working hard to ensure all DeKalb voters know where, when, and how to cast their ballot,” said DeKalb County Voter Registration and Elections Executive Director Keisha Smith. “Also, we encourage absentee voters to not delay in requesting their ballot, as the deadline is quickly approaching on Nov. 28.”
During the advance voting period, registered voters can vote at any DeKalb County advance voting locations.
Advanced voting locations include:
- Berean Christian Church in Stone Mountain
- DeKalb Voter Registration an Elections Office in Decatur
- Bessie Branham Recreation Center in Atlanta
- North DeKalb Senior Center in Chamblee
- Briarwood Recreation Center in Atlanta
- Gallery at South DeKalb (South DeKalb Mall) in Decatur
- Former Sam’s Club building in Stonecrest
- County Line-Ellenwood Library in Ellenwood
- Tucker-Reid H. Cofer Library in Tucker
- Dunwoody Library in Dunwoody
- Wesley Chapel Library in Decatur
- Emory University in Atlanta
- Wade Walker YMCA in Stone Mountain
- Beulah Missionary Baptist Church in Decatur
- Clarkston Library in Clarkston
- Salem-Panola Library in Stonecrest
Drop boxes are available at some advanced voting locations and are accessible during operating hours only. Locations with drop boxes include DeKalb Voter Registration and Elections Office, Briarwood Recreation Center, Gallery at South DeKalb, the former Stonecrest Sam’s Club, Tucker-Reid H. Cofer Library, and Dunwoody Library.
“We saw great turnout for the general election, and we encourage voters to get out there and vote one more time this year,” said Smith.
For more information, visit www.DeKalbVotes.com or call (404) 298-4020.