If the increase in local upscale camping options is an indication, glamping is a trend that remains popular here in DeKalb County.
“Glamping” is where camping and glamour intersect. These accommodations combine back-to-nature experiences with upscale accommodations that may include canvas tents with hardwood floors, electricity, air conditioning, chandeliers, comfy beds with plush bedding, fireplaces, indoor restrooms and more.
Just a few years ago, glamping sites in metro Atlanta and Georgia were few and far between.
Now there are more spots to choose from—some in DeKalb County and surrounding backyards.
And with more daylight hours now that we’ve turned back to daylight saving time, this season might be the perfect time to give glamping a try.
Located in Stone Mountain off Stewart Mill Road, Ramsden Lake describes itself as providing “boutique camping accommodations.” It opened in June 2020 by husband and wife Matthew and Blaine Keller. “For many of our guests we are the first time they have ever done any sort of camping and we love helping them have a great experience,” shared Matthew Keller via email.
Eight different camping accommodations are offered including:
• The Cove features a raised bed, hardwood floors, nightstand and console table, as well as suspended lighting.
• Tin Can Cottage is a vintage Airstream camper with three-burner stove, tile backsplash, French press and record player.
• Dogwood Tree Tent is a canvas cabin with windows across the entire front, private views of the lake, indoor clawfoot soaking tub, queen mattress and rain shower.
“Each dwelling has been artfully designed and constructed by hand and filled with all the essentials you might need for a comfortable camping experience,” states Ramsden Lake’s website. “All campsites has a warm bed, cozy fireplace, heirloom quality dishes, lanterns, cast iron, luxurious rain shower, composting toilet. Air conditioning!”
Rental prices range from $125 to $225 a night and include use of canoes, paddleboards and kayaks. For details, go to ramsdenlake.com.
Arabia Mountain Farm
Surrounded by the Arabia Mountain Heritage Area, Arabia Mountain Farm, which was established in 2020, offers five glamping experiences:
• Forest Dome is a geodome with a hanging bed and heated mattress, large windows, rugs, chairs and private outdoor shower.
• Houseboat in the Trees is renovated 1969 Chris Craft house boat with refrigerator, microwave, couch, bathroom with shower, fire pit with chairs and more.
• Airstream camper with three beds, two-burner cooktop, fridge and sink and dining seating.
• Cozy teepee with rug and mattress, rugs, table and chairs, outdoor shower and outhouse.
• Garden geodome with two beds, futon, chairs, rugs, heat and air conditioning, French press, large windows, outdoor shower and outhouse.
“We strive to provide a fun, magical, and unique experience; our 5 star experience,” states the Arabia Mountain Farm website. “Glamorous amenities include fresh linens, climate controlled, electricity, and hot showers.”
Rental rates begin at $63 a night for the teepee to $144 a night for the houseboat.
The six-acre “mini farm” is home to goats and chickens and is located on Rockland Road in Stonecrest.
Go to glampingatlanta.com for more information.
Stone Mountain Park
Stone Mountain Park’s yurts give campers accommodations with lake views. The wood and canvas yurts feature log furniture, skylights, heat and air, ceiling fans, table and chairs, bunk beds and double beds to sleep eight people. Outside there’s a charcoal grill and fire pit. Restrooms and showers are located a short distance from the yurts. Rentals start at $130 per night. Visit stonemountainpark.com for details.
Throughout Georgia, there are several other glamping options including Timberline Glamping Company, which has facilities at seven sites in Georgia and Florida including Amicalola Falls, Lake Lanier and Unicoi State Park.
There’s also Pine Mountain RV Resort near Callaway Gardens that has added a new tent and has four glamping tents outfitted with furniture, air conditioning, chandeliers, rugs and more. Among the tents are:
• Springbok, a family tent with a queen bed and bunk bed for two
• Bali, with a wood-burning stove, four-poster king bed, rain shower
• Shaka, furnished with king bed and twin trundle bed, full kitchen
Go to rvcoutdoors.com for more information.