Life in prison for Stonecrest mall shooters

Two men were convicted and sentenced for a shootout in a Stonecrest parking lot that led to a man’s death.

On March 22, a jury found Jermel Campbell, 30, and Trayvon Williams, 29, each guilty of malice murder, felony murder, four counts of aggravated assault, and possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony in connection with the death of Kevin Mcleod-Downer, 26.

DeKalb County Superior Court Judge Stacey Hydrick, who presided over the trial, sentenced both defendants to life in prison plus 25 years to serve consecutively.

The charges stemmed from an incident that occurred in September 2019 in the parking lot of The Mall at Stonecrest.

According to the investigation, Mcleod-Downer, his girlfriend, and two friends were hanging out at Round1 Bowling and Arcade where the defendants were also present.

A news release states that at one point, members of the defendants’ group unsuccessfully made advances on Mcleod-Downer’s girlfriend, and that there was a verbal altercation between the two groups as Mcleod-Downer and his group left the facility.

When the victims became aware of the large group coming towards them as they left, they reportedly began running to their car and a friend of Mcleod-Downer retrieved a firearm from the vehicle. The news release states that before he could use it, Campbell fired 15 shots in their direction while they took cover behind the car. Williams is also seen on surveillance video getting a firearm from his car and exchanging gunfire with the victim’s friend.

The news release states that during the shootout, Campbell ran to Williams, took the gun from him, and continued shooting towards the victims, eventually firing the fatal shot that killed Mcleod-Downer as Mcleod-Downer shielded his girlfriend from the gunfire.

As the defendants’ group fled the scene, Taron Williams shot multiple times in the direction of the victims from one of the fleeing cars. Taron Williams, who was set to be tried with Campbell and Trayvon Williams (unrelated to Taron Williams), did not appear for trial but was taken into custody on a bench warrant on March 18, 2024 and will be tried at a later date, according to the news release.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *