Student bitten by snake on school grounds

An unidentified DeKalb County School District (DCSD) student was bitten May 21 by a snake which is believed to by nonpoisonous. 

Emergency personnel were called to Smoke Rise Elementary School when a second-grade student was bitten by a snake on the school’s playground. Although the snake is believed to be nonpoisonous, the student was transported to a local hospital.

Remaining students were sent home with a letter from the school telling parents of the incident.

“Emergency medical services were contacted. They were provided with the snake and stated that they believed it to be nonvenomous; however, out of an abundance of caution, the student was transported to the hospital to be fully examined,” states Smoke Rise Elementary School Principal Pamela McCloud in the letter. “The purpose of this letter is to inform you of this incident in a timely manner and keep you abreast of important information. We want to encourage you to speak with you children about wildlife, especially as we begin out summer break.”

The school will provide extra staff to monitor the playground for the remainder of the school year. DCSD’s last day of school is May 23.

Loading

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *